Monday, August 04, 2008

Oni no Kakuran

Oni no Kakuran is a Japanese saying that literally translates to "Demon's Illness" and is used when someone who never gets sick, gets sick.

My husband woke up this morning with a fever, covered in clammy sweat and generally looking like shit-on-a-stick. I stayed home to keep an eye on him (and also to avoid work) and at one point, seriously began to wonder if the son-of-a-bitch had up and died on me -- once I realized he had been sleeping for twenty hours straight (completely unlike him).

I was just getting ready to go upstairs and begin dealing with the logistics of removing a 200+ pound corpse from my bed (where's a chainsaw when you need one?) when I heard groaning, stumbling and a flush from the upstairs toilet.

He went back to bed after being given some Tylenol to reduce his fever, some fluids, and a light snack. Kowaiiso (poor thing).

No comments: