Friday, September 16, 2005

It's a Bird...It's a Plane...No, It's a Bird.

I was supposed to start a pottery class today, but when I got to the Center, there was no signage and apparently no pottery class. My last interaction with the staff there was frustrating, so I didn't even bother to inquire. So, no pottery class. Bummer.

However, we did have a mini-adventure of sorts: We stopped home briefly before the class, to drop off and pick up stuff. I was poking around downstairs, when suddenly Chris, who had been upstairs, comes bolting down, looking a little freaked out. "There's a BIRD up in the den!"

"A bird?"

"A bird! It must have gotten in when we left the window open for Genji (our cat) to go out on the balcony."

That's odd. The window wasn't open very far. Japanese windows have roller screens that you raise and lower and we leave the screen open just enough so that Genji can squeeze out onto the balcony. See? The window is about six feet tall and the opening is on the bottom! Given the configuration of the balcony's solid rails, the way the window works and just the general layout of my yard and house, to have a bird get in was really rather strange. I couldn't even begin to imagine how such a situation might have come about. I thought the cat might have had something to do with it, but more on that later.

From the way Chris was acting, I thought the bird had to be a vulture. A evil, undead, flesh-eating Zombie Vulture. And us with no silver bullets. Oh, wait, that's werewolves. Anyway, then I got real worried it might be one of the huge ravens that inhabit Misawa. One of those would give me pause. I'd take the Zombie Vulture over the Misawa Ravens any day--the ravens are enormous, smart and always look like they are ready to swoop down and peck out my eyes. But I soon found out the bird was a scrawny, wren/jay-looking thing, not very pretty and made even less attractive by the fact it shat all over the den. I chased The Butt-Ugly Bird around for a few minutes, then finally went and got a towel. I opened the screen all the way and proceeded to flail at the miserable creature. I finally covered it with the towel and dumped it outside, where it flapped around for a moment, scaring the crap out of the cat, who beat a hasty retreat to the far end of the balcony, puffed up and terrified. At that point, I concluded that my frightened, fat, ball-less, declawed cat could have not possibly caught that bird. The homely bird flew off, apparently none the worse for its misadventure.

No comments: