Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Lost in Translation

I wrote a letter on Monday, thanking Ikeda-san for the fun I had at the Big Bazaar and for his generous gift of kimono and accessories. Here's the original:

Monday, April 03, 2006

Dear Ikeda-San,

As I look out the window, I don’t see Cherry Blossoms, I see snow! Spring has yet to come to Misawa! I wonder if spring has come to Yokohama yet? Will you take time off from working to do Hanami?

I am writing to thank you for the wonderful time I had selling kimono with you at the Big Bazaar. It was very good to see you; you are looking well and that makes me happy.

I also wanted to thank you for your kindness and for all the lovely kimono you gave to me. You were far too generous, I wish you had let me pay for those items – I may have used up all of your profits! When I wear my lovely kimono, I will think warmly of you.

I am looking forward to seeing you again at the Fall Bazaar! I hope will we do lots of business and have lots of fun. Until then, please take good care of yourself.

Your Friend,

I sent this off to be translated (by a human being) and this is what I got:

200643日(月)


親愛なる池田さん

窓の外を見ても、桜の花は見えません。見えるのは雪です! 三沢には春はまだ来ていません。横浜には春は来ましたか? 仕事を休んで花見に行かれますか?

ビッグ・バザールであなたと一緒に着物を販売して素晴らしい時を過ごしたことに感謝の気持ちをお伝えするために、この手紙を書いています。あなたと会えてとてもよかった。あなたは素敵で、私を幸せにします。

私は、あなたのご厚意と、あなたが私に下さったかわいい着物にも感謝しています。あなたがあまりに気前がよかったので、私は代金をお支払させていただければよかったのにと思っています。私はあなたの利益を全部使ってしまったかも知れません。私がこのかわいい着物を着るとき、私はあなたのことを思い出して、心が暖かくなるでしょう。

秋のバザールで再びお目にかかることを楽しみにしています。たくさんの仕事をして、たくさん楽しみたいと思っています。それまで、お体にお気をつけ下さい。

あなたのお友達

And finally, for shits and giggles, I ran the above through WorldLingo (machine translation):

2006 April 3rd (Monday)

Ikeda which becomes love

Looking at outside the window, the flower of the cherry tree is not visible. Those where it is visible are the snow! Spring it has not come to Misawa yet. Spring it came to Yokohama? Work going to bed, you go to Hanami?

Selling you and the kimono together in the big bazaar, when being splendid, in order for us to convey the feeling of appreciation to passing, you write this letter. Being able to meet with you, it was very good. You being cute, make me happy.

You appreciate even in the lovely kimono as for me, your kindness and, you in me. Because you generosity were good excessively, you think if I the payment could point to price. Perhaps me you used your profit entirely. When me wearing this lovely kimono, as for me remembering your thing, heart becomes warm, probably will be.

It enjoys that again it depends on the eye in the bazaar of the fall. Doing many works, the large quantity we would like to enjoy. To that, please pay attention to the body.


Your friend



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me laugh so hard this morning! It's quite fascinating what translation software can do to a text.

Anonymous said...

...and here is what a human translator provided of your first few translated lines:

"Even when I look out of the window, I don't see cherry blossoms. What I see is snow! Spring has not yet come to Misawa."

...so you are good to go...